Friday, December 14, 2012

How do I cover this thing on my wall?: Paintings as clever, camouflage decor

How do I cover this thing on my wall?:  
Paintings as clever, camouflage decor

Have you ever tried to decorate a beautiful room, only to have some ugly, functional, non-moveable, eyesore of an object jutting out from the wall? This might be a circuit breaker box, an alarm system, a garage door opener. All are necessary, but don't necessarily need to be the center of attention.

Tutorial from: http://myuncommonsliceofsuburbia.com/what-garage-door-opener?wpmp_switcher=mobile

One creative customer of mine took this idea and instead of a door, hinged a painting over a frame. The simple frame was made of white molding pieces cut to size, available at any home improvement store. The hinge looks like the one above except it was attached to the stretcher bar of the painting (Note:  be sure to choose a painting with larger, sturdy stretcher bars):

Here is my painting that she bought and used as clever camoflauge. Notice the 3" deep frame (The painting is about the size of two bricks.) The opening at the back of the canvas helped hide the protruding object on the wall.):
The following set of photos show a painting I currently have for sale that is also 5"x7"x3":

This painting is available now from my etsy shop:  

I also have other canvases of this size, should you want a similar painting, but different colors.

Note of caution:  I did not put "thermostat" on the list of things to cover. Covering it completely might affect how well it functions, so please do not cover that with a painting. Instead, you can camouflage it within a group of paintings like in this clever arrangement by Kristin at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia:  http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2XtSyIyJ798/S_Vctd2_eEI/AAAAAAAACBY/RxZyfKrAdhU/s400/IMG_1479.JPG

If you have any related ideas, please feel free to post in the comment section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment